In this series we will uncover the backstory to the sages of the Mishnah and their living teachings and their teaching lives.
We will explore a selection of the stories, adventures, wisdom recorded in the Talmudim and Midrashim beginning with Ezra the scribe and his court and concluding with the students of Judah the Prince.
Pirkei Avot: The “Chapters of the Fathers”, will serve as a backdrop to our explorations. Tonight: Ezra and the Men of the great Assembly
Please join us every Monday-Thursday 7-8 PM April 20-May 27. There will be 23 lessons. Each one will be free standing so feel free to join any time. They will also be recorded if you want to fill in the gaps.
Class id is 704-429-4766
You will need a password. Password is Shoreline
Also on Facebook live Facebook.com/rabbiyossiyaffe
If you want to call in, dial 646-558-8656 and enter meeting id 704 429 4766 no user id, enter password at the prompt 556562
- Ezra & the Men of the Great Assembly.
- Simeon the Just – “Great Among His Brothers and the Glory of His People” Antigonus of Sokho: Tzedukim & Bisusum
- Servants and Sons: Ĥoni the Circle Maker, Ĥanina ben Dosa and the World of God’s Servants
- The Pairs: The Hasmonean period
- Hillel & Shammai: Kindness & Justice
- The “Houses” students of Hillel and Beit Shammai
- Rabban Gamliel the Elder: Providing Stability for a Life of Torah
- Rabban Yoĥanan ben Zakkai: Before, during and after the Destruction 1
- Rabban Yoĥanan ben Zakkai: Before, during and after the Destruction 2
- Rabbi Eliezer ben Hyrkenos: The Heavens Will Prove that the Halakha Accords with Me & Rabbi Tarfon: From Beit Shammai to the Beit Midrash at Yavneh
- Rabban Gamliel and Rabbi Yehoshua: So that Dispute Should Not Proliferate in Israel:
- Rabbi Elazar ben Azarya: Make Your Ear Like a Funnel & Rabbi Dosa ben Harkinas: He Will Sit Alone and Be Silent
- Rabbi Akiva early years, leadership & Bar Kochba 1
- Rabbi Akiva early years leadership & Bar Kochba 2
- Rabbi Yishmael: The Torah Speaks in Human Terms
- Rabbi Elazar HaModai: Faith and Trust, Rabbi Yose HaGlili: Collecting Traditions, Rabbi Ĥanina ben Teradion: The Parchment Is Burning but the Letters Soar Upward
- Rabbi Shimon bar Yoĥai: Leadership and Mystic
- Elisha ben Abuya A Sage & Heretic
- Rabbi Meir & Beruria
- Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel & Rabbi Pinĥas ben Yair: Hasid and Sage
- Rabbi Yehuda HaNasi Composer of Mishnah 1
- Rabbi Yehuda HaNasi Composer of Mishnah 2
Rebbi’s Sons & students